Photo via Pixabay
People often associate decluttering with throwing things away. However, it's very possible to minimize your life and clean your home without introducing much waste into the landfill or polluting the earth with chemicals. Make an effort to downsize in a sustainable way so you can feel good about your impact and avoid hanging onto items out of fear of being wasteful. Here are a few resources that can guide you.
- It’s a good idea to clear out your closets first to make room for other items as you declutter the rest of your home.
- Instead of throwing out everything you don't want, sort it into three piles: keep, donate, and throw away.
- Giving new life to your unwanted possessions is one of the best ways to keep useful items out of the landfill—for example, you can repurpose ratty old T-shirts as cleaning rags!
- If you’re looking to make some money while saving the environment, consider hosting a garage sale to sell your unwanted belongings.
- Large items, like couches and appliances, don’t have to go to the landfill. Instead, try listing your large objects on Craigslist for free.
- Because electronics often contribute to environmental pollution, it's best to take your unwanted ones to a recycling center that accepts them.
- You may even be able to sell old computers online to people who will reuse the parts.
- To cut down on paper clutter, scan your important documents and memorable photos to your computer, then upload the files to the cloud so they're easily accessible.
- Take note of some simple fridge organizational tips to keep your food from spoiling too quickly and to avoid over-purchasing.
- After decluttering, it's time for a good deep clean. Avoid cleaning products that contain toxic chemicals, and focus on eco-friendly products instead.
Decluttering can be exhausting, so make sure you take lots of breaks and plan out your downsizing sessions beforehand. It’s tempting to start chucking everything in the trash when you get tired of sorting. Take it slow, and remember that your clean house will feel even better when you do your part to keep waste out of the environment.